Thursday, May 22, 2008

Witnessing to the feminist baby boomer

Step 1: Pray without ceasing
Salvation is of the Lord.

--Jonah 2:9b


It should be obvious, right? But oh, how often I forget to turn to the Lord for help when I’m witnessing to a woman who is like I was: a feminist, agnostic-might-as-well-be-atheist who thinks Christians are, at best, wishful thinkers.

I’m always well-armed with reasons for the hope that is within me – the very same reasons that convinced me less than a decade ago that the Bible is the inspired and inerrant word of God, His revelation of Himself to His creation and the truth about where we came from, what we’re doing here and where we’re headed.

But nothing good ever comes of it when I am relying on those reasons alone – or on my own stumbling presentation or hazy insights into exactly what might persuade this particular friend to crack open the door of her heart to the Lord. Only He knows precisely what should be said at what moment; only He can prompt conversation that will lead to delivery of just the right message; only He can soften the human heart to hear that message.

And so especially when I am preparing to share the Good News with someone who is not eager to hear it, I try to remember to take it up with Him before, during and after the meeting – to “pray without ceasing,” as the apostle Paul advised in 1 Thessalonians 5:17.

1 comment:

The Amiable Atheist said...

I really appreciated your comment on my blog and I also wanted to thank you because it encouraged me to do a lot of research and to learn new things.

I have provided an in-depth response to your points in a seperate blog entry that can be found here.